Monday, April 11, 2011

Amy’s Rice Crust Spinach Pizza




Dan collaborates with Taylor Swift


Almost without fail, every friend and blog admirer I told I was going to eat a rice crust, vegan, and gluten-free pizza from my homegirl Amy was greeted with some verbal or mouth twitch of “ewwh”.  I gotta say, ladies and germs, this pizza did all right.  It did so all right of a job that I left a Taylor Swift song on for its full duration on my ride home that evening.  The one where “she’s a cheer captain and I’m on the bleachers…”  Oh yeah…

***NEWS UPDATE***If you happened to read my earlier post about Amy’s Spinach Pizza, Josh and I were debating Amy’s age.  ‘Turns out the dickens is in her early 20s.  Born in 1987, Amy is the daughter of the founders and the company was named after her.  I’m beyond smitten!

Again, another rounding of the bases for Amy.  The rice crust, while different in texture from a traditional wheat crust, was very good.  It tasted like it had some kind of olive oil infusion that made it tender, but I’m not 100% sure.  Plenty of spinach on the pizza, but fireworks going off for some tasty soy cheese.  Nice blend of spices.  Overall, a very satisfying pizza tasting experience.  However, there were some whack instructions on the box. 

You cook the pizza for 12 minutes at 425—okay, nothing crazy, nothing unusual there.  Josh opened the oven door after 12 minutes and the soy cheese looked like it hadn’t been affected at all by high heat.  We were both kinda scratching our heads.  We turned to the box and realized in the instructions that we had to move the pizza to a higher rack in the oven and broil, yes, broil the damn thing for like 2 minutes on high in order to melt the cheese.  That was a little disturbing.  You tell me if you can name 5 perishable items you can put into an oven for 12 minutes at 425 and will remain in the same form.  If you can, you can guest blog on our site and I’ll buy you whatever soda flavor you wish.

(8.6 pizzas out of 10)

Amy, can we be friends on facebook?  I set up a hotline for you to call at 1 800 AMY-LOVE


Joshua collaborates with Melissa Ethridge


Amy Amy Amy.  So we meet again.  This time with a gluten free soy cheese spinach pie with crust made of rice. 

I once read a book called “I am the cheese” in 8th grade solely because that was the title of the book.  It turned out to be a pretty decent read if my memory serves me well.  Seeing the words “Soy Cheese” made me think of it (3 years of Spanish classes Didn’t pay off a bit!)

Amy keeps poking and prodding and beating people over the head with how healthy her pizzas are.  I still think she’s trying to hard to be liked by society.  If this was just marketed as a regular pizza and not put in the special organic section of the store I think it would go over well.  It is a touch pricy, but sometimes you have to shell out a little more for quality and maybe even an extra fifty cents to not feel like you’ve been punched in the stomach by a pizza that was supposed to nourish and sustain you.

Amy, you’re doing a good job, just don’t try so hard.  People will like you for you, and if they don’t, it doesn’t matter.  Wear your soy cheese with pride, but don’t be so concerned about every ones opinions.

Just like Melissa Etheridge once sang

I don’t care what they think
I don’t care what they say
What do they know about gluten free pizzas
Anywaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

8 out of 10 it’s only fear that makes you run the feelings that you’re hiding from’s

we'll make a crust.... OUT OF RICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment